March 17, 2017

More Place Names

Roman remains in Wall.

Yes, I know I've done place names before but I've had a particularly hectic week and I'm pushed for time. I wanted to take part in Five on Friday this week because it's the last one to be hosted by Amy at Love Made My home. I wanted to say thank you to her for looking after us for so long and being such a welcoming host. It's been fun, and I've learned lots from my fellow Fivers.

But please bear with me if this is short and sweet.  I've chosen five places that have meant something to me for some reason, either that I've lived close to them, or passed through them regularly.

Irthlingborough, Northamptonshire. First recorded in 780 as Yrtlingaburg, which means "fortified manor belonging to the ploughmen" in Old English. The Domesday Book* (1086) called it Erdinburne, These days the locals call it Artleknock. I have no idea why!

Margate, Kent. First recorded as Meregate in 1254. From the Old English meaning "gap leading to the sea".  Now known as the original seaside. (Though Northern coastal folk would disagree!)

Meriden, West Midlands. First mentioned in 1230. It means "pleasant valley" or "where merrymaking takes place" in Old English. In spite of what some people believe, its nothing to do with 'meridian' and absolutely not related to the fact that the village is as close to the centre of England as makes no difference.

Wall, Staffordshire. Originally listed as Wal in manorial documents from 1166. Want to guess what's there?  Correct - it's a wall. In fact it's several walls dating from the Roman era when Letocetum was an important place on Watling Street.  The old Roman road still runs through the village but its 'modern' replacement (The A5, brought 'up to date' by Thomas Telford in the 1820s.) runs past the village now.

Wetwang, North Yorkshire
Mentioned in the Domesday Book* (1086).  From the Old Scandinavian for "a place for trial of legal actions". We go past this place regularly on the way to see Mr Anorak's mother.  We always laugh at the sound of it.


Notes
*The Domesday Book (pronounced 'doomsday') was a record of the settlements in England after its defeat by the Normans in 1066.  One of the first things William ordered was an extensive survey of what he now owned, and it was published 20 years later.  It's a valuable historic source for researchers.

Much of the information in this post has been gathered from the Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names, (1998 Past Times edition)






16 comments:

  1. I love all about place names and their meanings. Always wondered what Wetwang means; thanks for that. We always laugh at the name too. Have a great weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's just so obvious how these places got their names once you've looked into it! Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about place names! I find it really interesting to find out how places got their names and how they have changed over the years.

    Thanks for sharing your Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so interesting as I've always loved rolling strange place names off my tongue, so Wetwang is a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember your fun earlier post on place names! You have such long history and that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do have some amazing place names here in the UK don't we? Some of the local pronunciations of their names are even more interesting. I do wonder how Irthlingborough became Artleknock. It's a long time since we visited Wall, must go again soon. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love post like this. I learn something new! Happy Friday!s

    ReplyDelete
  8. The history of place names is always fascinating. Gateway to the sea sounds much more romantic than the word Margate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Five wonderful spots, sounds like! Loved seeing the photo of the Roman Wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous post, thank you! Wetwang always makes us laugh, too. And thank you for reminding me that I really ought to visit Wall as it's not too far away and I've never been. I find the origin of place names fascinating. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wetwang is now amongst my favourite place names, along with Acocks Green where I grew up and Dancing Dicks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed, although having moved around a bit since my teens my accent has faded a litte

      Delete
    2. Oddly, my other half went to Uni in Wolverhampton and lived in Brum for many years before we got together. In spite of being from Yorkshire he now sounds like a Brummie!

      Delete
  12. Fascinating post! I love the history of place names. Growing up in Essex, we visited Margate often when we needed a change from Southend sea front

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I love place names and what they can teach us - wouldn't be without my Dictionary of Place-Names! I used to have an office in Croydon, which means 'saffron valley' - or valley of crocuses. You have to know Croydon to appreciate the irony.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your mark for future historians.