July 01, 2016

Five famous people

Here we are again on Friday taking part in Amy's Five on Friday. This week I've been trawling the photo collection for some sculptures of famous people.  Be warned - I have enough of these to make it into several "Five" posts so you might get more in the future.

Meanwhile, let's start with someone you should recognise, even if I got the light very wrong and he's little more than a silhouette in this shot.
Sorry to my overseas readers if this guy isn't familiar to you but his name was Eric Morecambe, and he was half of a comedy duo who were very famous from the 60s onwards in the UK.  In actual fact his name was Eric Bartholomew, but he took his stage name from his home town, Morecambe in Lancashire. And that's where this statue stands. That's Morecambe Bay in the background.

Another comedian - Tony Hancock. You don't really get the full effect here but the sculpture is sheet steel and the image is created by holes of various sizes drilled into it to let light pass through. (Much like an old print plate.) You don't get the scale in this shot either. But the plinth is big enough to sit on. It's in Old Square, Birmingham, close to where he was born. Hancock was known for his dry humour and comedy programmes on TV and radio. Remember The Blood Donor?


Even if you recognise this work you might not realise why I've included it among famous people. Much of Antony Gormley's work is based around nude figures similar to this. The photo is one of the Another Place installation on Crosby Beach near Liverpool. He's one of hundreds of cast iron figures standing looking out to sea. You might be more familiar with his Angel of the North, another - much bigger - cast iron figure, this time with airplane wings, that stands by the A1 near Gateshead. Whatever the size, these Gormley sculptures are actually self portraits. He bases all of these works on his own body. Hence its inclusion as somebody famous!


Famous, but not real. This stands near the gate of Nottingham Castle and tourists flock to see it. He's not one of my favourites. Raised on Errol Flynn movies, I find this child-like face bears no resemblance to the image of Robin Hood I have in my imagination. The locals seem to like him though, and his arrow frequently disappears during student Rag Week.

This chap sits on the quayside in Bristol, contemplating a long sea voyage. I don't know how accurate a portrait it is, but it represents John Cabot, explorer and navigator, who is credited with discovering parts of North America in the late 15th century during the reign of Henry VII. That's how they came up with the name Newfoundland. He's life size, and on a good day you can share a seat with him while you sip a takeaway coffee from the Arnolfini Gallery behind him.

Now please go and visit Any's blog at Love Made My Home to see what other people are sharing this week.

19 comments:

  1. Great choice of 5 once again. I recognised 4 out of 5 didn't know the last one.
    bon weekend, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have a picture of Eric lined up for My Captured Moment next week, my husband was a massive fan. We don't live far from the Antony Gormley statue's they are wonderful. A great five - have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just superb! I shall look forward to the other sculptures you will share with us. The one of Eric made me smile so very much x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your five, although I recognised them I have never seen the statues. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely five! I love the one of Eric Morecambe. I agree that the Robin Hood doesn't look like the one from my childhood imagination either!

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea! I love your theme this week and looking forward to more weeks like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your post. My favourite has to be Eric at Morcambe. Such a wonderful character. Have you seen Cary Grant in Bristol. That's another favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cary Grant might make a guest appearance in a later post!

      Delete
  8. I love Another Place, so atmospheric with the barnacles and the light. Event Horizon on the building tops of London was great too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating! The photo of the sculpture of Eric Morecombe looks great in silhouette like that. The one of Hancock is interesting too isn't it, I haven't seen anything like that before. Thank you for joining in with Five On Friday. I hope you have a fun weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great group of five. The idea of a theme is appealing. I recognized none of the first four (Robin Hood looks different than I picture him), but John Cabot is someone every Canadian child learns about in school. There's a Cabot Trail that encircles Cape Breton Island, named in his honour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your five, particularly the last one of John Cabot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea for your five. I only recognized the obvious 2 at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your five famous folk statues were interesting to see and learn a bit more about. I read a blog post about Gormley and was fascinated about the concept of having so many statues looking out to sea! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great five, I am ashamed to say I haven't seen any of those although my husband is always saying he would like to see the Eric Morecombe statue so one day perhaps. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the Eric Morecombe statue and visit him often x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an interesting post. I enjoyed seeing all the statues although I wasn't familiar with the first three names.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic walk and: I haven't known no one of them...(the charakter of Robin Hood, of course, know). The man in the sea I've seen somewere at a picture, thanks for enlightment.
    Have a nice sunday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great selection. I've visited the Eric Morecambe and Anthony Gormley statues and love both of those. Didn't know about the Tony Hancock but will keep an eye out next time I'm in Birmingham. Where on earth did they get the Robin Hood model from? I don't think that face would be anyone's image of him. My personal favourite is the Michael Praed version but I'm quite partial to Kevin Costner too! X

    ReplyDelete

Leave your mark for future historians.